The second round of academic planning and brainstorming sessions were held at SMB Fatima Jinnah Government Girls School where teachers came together to discuss problems and strategise the best paths to improving student learning outcomes.
All subject coordinators and head teachers met with our Project Manager (PM) and the School Headmistress (HM) during the month to review current academic standards and to come up with future strategy. The following major decisions were taken:
* The academic year would be changed to be split into two terms instead of three in order to make the learning and teaching more meaningful. A group of coordinators has been working on distributing the syllabus accordingly. The coordinators will also be given enough time to observe their respective subject classes and share the observation forms with teachers individually and collectively during their regular meetings with the teachers.
* Every subject coordinator and the teacher would have regular monthly meetings with the HM & the PM.
* Selected chapters from Class 9 Sind Textbook Board books of English and Math would be introduced into the syllabus of Class 8 in order to prepare the students for board exams in advance. It was heartening to see this suggestion come from teachers of Class 8 who were willing to take on the added responsibility.
* The Science, Computer and General groups would be initially formed in Class 8 from the next academic year and certain relevant topics of Biology, Chemistry, Computer and Physics would be taught with emphasis in Class 8 also. It will help the management for the final formalization of groups in Class 9 according to the aptitude of the students.
* Career Counselling for Science and General groups to be conducted in the coming month. The students in the General Group especially needs direction and motivation to explore relevant careers and continue their studies post school as many of them mistakenly think that ending up in the General Group is of no practical use and signals the end of their education.
* Books from three other publishers, viz Vision Publishers, Rehbar Publishers and Gaba Publishers are under review to either replace Oxford University Press books or get some ideas and help from other publishers.
* A mutual meeting of KG 1, KG 2 and Class 1 teachers was held to discuss the smooth transition of the child from Kindergarten to Class 1 and handling with reading and writing issues. It was suggested to provide books for KG 2 kids and that the teachers of Class 1 would emphasize on word-making to a point where the child could easily take off on to reading and writing skills. This was specially relevant to streamline the achievement in learning across students who join us in Kindergarten as opposed to those who join in Class 1 without having any proper montessori exposure.
* Teachers to be motivated to use the school's Teachers Resource Center and Library. After-school hours designated as extra-help sessions for Classes 9 and 10 to be carried out as a regular activity till the final exams this academic year.
* More and more subject-focused training is needed for teachers, avenues would be explored.
Project: School Reform, SMB
Category: Academic, Administrative
Date: January 2016